What is CAB 2019 ? What is Citizenship amendment bill? Amid strong opposition the CAB or Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 has been passed in the Rajya Sabha Today.
CAB or Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 Passed In Rajya Sabha
Rajya Sabha today, has Passed the CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019). 125 MP have voted in favor of CAB and 105 MP have voted against the bill.
Last week the CAB or Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 has passed in the lower house or Lok Sabha.
Now we are going to discuss about the CAB and its impact on citizens of India.
What is CAB?
CAB Stands for Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 that seeks to amend the Citizenship Act 1955. The CAB 2019 seeks give citizenship to Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Parsis, Christians and Jains came from Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan on or before 31st December 2014.
Insights to the CAB 2019:
History Part – 1 of CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill)
The Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP) in its poll manifesto of general election 2014, had promised to give citizenship to the non muslim Refugees those come from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
- The CAB was first introduced on 19 July 2016 in the Lok Sabha.
- After which on 12th August 2016, it was refereed to the joint parliamentary committee.
- Then the committee has given its report 7th January 2019.
- The Bill was passed in Lok Sabha on 8th January 2019.
But As the 16th Lok Sabha’s Tenure comes to an end, and the Bill was not passed in Rajya Sabha by that time, The CAB Bill was collapsed automatically.
History Part – 2 of CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill)
The BJP win a thumping majority in the 2019 General Election with winning 303 seats alone and 353 seats together with its ally. Amit Shah became the Home Minister of India in the Modi Govt.
- 4 December 2019, The Bill was cleared by the Union cabinet for introduction in the Parliament.
- 9 December 2019, Union Home Minister Amit Shah introduced the Bill in Lok Sabha.
- 10 December 2019, The Bill Was passed in the Lok Sabha. Where 311 MPs have voted in Favor of the of CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill) and 80 MPs have voted against the Bill.
- 11 December 2019, The Bill was introduced in Rajya Sabha and was passed on same day. 125 MPs have voted for of CAB (Citizenship Amendment Bill) and 105 MPs have voted against it.
- The Shivsena did a walkout from Rajya Sabha before the Vote takes place, But they have voted in favor of the bill in Lok Sabha.
Power or Provisions of The Bill :
The Bill amends the Citizenship Act 1955 to grant citizenship to the people who entered India on or before 31st December 2014, And they must be Hindu, Buddhist, Parsis, Sikhs, Christians or Jains and from the country of Pakistan, Afghanistan or Bangladesh.
It has Provisions for cancellation of Overseas Citizenship of India or OCI if ;
1. OCI Holder sentenced to Jail for 2 or more years within 5 years of Registration
2. Registration through fraud means
3. Violation of any law notified by central govt.
But before Cancellation of Citizenship, it also gives a chance to the OCI holder to be heard.
Watch this space for more update in the matter.